Vaughan Merrick
Block 8
4/11/11
While viewing the relationship between the number of molecules in a closed chamber and the pressure, I observed that as the number of molecules increased, the pressure increased as well. This would make the relationship between these two variables linear. In both cases, whether I pumped in "heavy species" or "light species," the pressure increased on each pump of molecules. In "heavy species" from one pump to four pumps of molecules, I went from 82 molecules to 853 molecules with an average increase of about 193 molecules per pump. In this trial, the pressure increased from 0.45 atmospheres on the first pump to 4.40 atmospheres on the fourth pump, with an average increase of .99 atmospheres per pump. In the "light species," I went from 91 molecules on the first pump to 938 molecules on the fourth pump, with an average of 212 molecules increased per pump. As this occurred, the pressure increased from 0.47 atmospheres on the first pump to 4.35 atmospheres on the last pump, with an average increase of .97 atmospheres per pump. In this activity, as the number of molecules increased, the pressure increased as well.
No comments:
Post a Comment